13 Unique Austin Engagement Session Photo Locations
When engaged couples ask for suggestions on unique photo locations around Austin, I always recommend choosing a place that best represents them as a couple. Is there a place that holds special memories? Or a place that represents your favorite thing to do together? Maybe the location where you first met or had your first date? Go with that — it’s symbolic! But if you’re still struggling and looking for inspiration, here are a few of my favorite unique photo locations for engaged couples (in alphabetical order, because I can’t play favorites).
I have to be honest, I struggled to narrow this post to just 13 unique Austin photo locations. The whole city of Austin is the epitome of unique – and that’s why I love it so much! Even after living here and photographing engagement sessions for years, I still find fun new venues and breathtaking locations every day!
1. Alamo Drafthouse– I know a movie theater may seem a bit strange for engagement photos, but Alamo is no regular theater chain, and this particular one has a great vintage cinematic theme going on. Colorful murals, black and white tiles, Edison-style lights, retro signs, and more – this place is so much fun! Perfect for all the movie buffs and foodies out there!
2. Austin Bergstrom International Airport– Let your love take flight! All cheesiness aside, this is a great one for couples who love adventure and traveling. This couple had a long distance relationship for years (due to school and work), so they spent many hours in the airport and thought it would be the perfect unique spot for the engagement photos. Plus, the Southwest Airlines logo is pretty darn cute in engagement photos – who knew?! *Lots of paperwork involved, but it really can happen!
3. Blanton Museum of Art– The modern architecture of this building is far from boring. The arches, staircases, and strategically-placed windows add interesting dimension, texture, and lighting to photos. And let’s not forget the glorious blue tile walls everywhere! Plus, you’ll want to explore the intriguing galleries afterward. *Fees apply. Only available Mondays. Image taken from Wedding Wire
4. Dunvegan Keep – You’ll both feel like royalty at this whimsical old world-themed venue on privately owned land in South Austin. The castle-like pavilion is tucked back in the trees, and the lush grounds, poolside pillars, winding vines and white stone take you back in time!
5. Gilfillan House– A historic gem on 8thstreet. The wraparound veranda overlooking the city is gorgeous, and the landscaping and giant crystal chandeliers feel tres romantic!
6. Jester King Brewery– For couples who want a natural hill country look, you’ll find plenty of fresh air, spectacular views, and craft beer at this authentic venue based out of Dripping Springs.
7. Justine’s Secret House– New Orleans vibe, moody ambiance, historic architecture, lush gardens – this well-kept secret is a favorite gathering place for locals who want to a host a unique event. Although the venue is used exclusively for events, they welcome photo sessions as well. Image taken from Space Sift.
8. Le San Michele – If you’re up for a short drive, this stunning 12-acre estate in Buda, Texas has the most beautiful bluebonnet fields we’ve ever seen in the springtime. But even during other months, this hill country escape will have you mesmerized. I LOVE taking couples out here for a romantic session, and there is a ton of visual variety.
9. Lake Travis Boat Marina – Believe or not, you can have a beachy or nautical-themed session in Texas. The deep green waters and sunny skies over Lake Travis provide a stunning backdrop. Sit out on the pier with your other half and enjoy watching the boats roll in beneath a colorful sunset.
10. Pinballz Arcade – This gaming venue is my favorite for retro vibes and edgy images. The glow-in-the-dark and neon lighting adds fun visual effects and colorful mood to your photos. The couple actually had their first date here, so they wanted to go for the arcade themed engagement!
11. Quacks Bakery and Hyde Park neighborhood – For a cozy coffee shop feel, this one is great for classic, intimate photos. Order a cupcake and share a few bites on together on their patio, then take a leisurely walk through Hyde Park.
12. Roadside Relics – You don’t have to be a signage enthusiast to love this charming, vintage location. Their neon signs, string lights, and classic cars are so nostalgic, and they even allow photos with their flawlessly restored cars. This is no doubt one of the most unique photo locations in Austin!
13. Voodoo Donuts – This one speaks for itself. Who doesn’t love donuts? And these are so artfully decorated, they’re almost too pretty to eat! Almost…. Plus, their rustic shop has a charming boutique feel that’s great for engagement sessions – check out their pink Texas logo!
- Albums & Products (11)
- Austin Bridal Photographer (7)
- Austin Engagement Photographer (22)
- Austin Engagement Photographer (GIA) (6)
- Austin event photographer (3)
- Austin Family Photographer (2)
- Austin Wedding Photographer (68)
- Austin Wedding Photographer (GIA) (8)
- Awards & Features (9)
- Destination Wedding Photographer (7)
- For Photographers (2)
- Horseshoe Bay Wedding Photographer (1)
- Houston Wedding Photographer (1)
- San Antonio Wedding Photographer (1)
- Tips for the Bride and Groom (3)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Wedding Photography Tips (1)
- Wedding Vendors I Love (2)